Credential/License from Another Country
If you have completed a teacher preparation program outside the United States, you are eligible for a preliminary credential if you meet the following requirements:
- Provide a foreign transcript evaluation showing completion of an undergraduate or higher degree from a college or university equivalent to a regionally-accredited U.S. institution.
- Provide a foreign transcript evaluation showing completion of a professional preparation program including student teaching.
- Provide proof of comparable teaching credential.
Individuals who have completed their professional preparation program outside of the United States may apply directly to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing for their Preliminary Credential.
Here is additional information for each type of teacher:
If you are interested in:
- Providing bilingual instruction, foreign language instruction, or cultural enrichment only, you may qualify for a Sojourn Credential.
- Promoting cross-cultural exchanges, or understanding and respect between California teachers and foreign teachers, you may be eligible for the Exchange Visitor Program for Teachers.
- Obtaining an Eminence Credential, your employing agency must apply on your behalf.
- Completing some needed coursework at a California teacher preparation program, then view our page designed to help you Find the Right Preparation Program.
Important Note: While bilingual abilities are beneficial, the ability to read, write, speak and understand English is required. You must be legally eligible to work in the United States. (This means that you must be a: U.S. citizen, or a legal resident with a Social Security Number or an Individual Tax Identification Number).